( 8.1) EXERCISE - PREPOSITIONS
Fill in the blanks with these words: against, at, by, for, from, in, like, near, of, on, to, up, with.
- 1. She is doing a degree course _____ a university.
She is doing a degree course at a university.
- 2. His trousers were washed _____ the washing machine.
- 3. We had to climb slowly _____ the hill.
- 4. His house looks _____ a temple.
- 5. How many _____ the members will join the trip?
- 6. Don't lean that ladder _____ the wall.
- 7. I don't usually feel tired _____ the morning.
- 8. Have you heard anything _____ him yet?
- 9. My house is quite _____ to your school.
- 10. Put this _____ your drawer and do not let anyone see it.
- 11. A university is where you study _____ a degree.
- 12. Which of these roads will lead _____ the church?
- 13. He sometimes quarrels _____ the neighbour.
- 14. I think there is a salesman _____ the door.
- 15. Her next birthday will be _____ a Sunday.
- 16. Even the new drug could not cure him _____ his illness.
- 17. He was given a ten-year prison sentence _____ armed robbery.
- 18. The cat likes to rub its head _____ my legs.
- 19. The store was robbed because there was no guard _____ duty.
- 20. My father has a car _____ yours.
- 21. His sister holds a degree _____ physics _____ Oxford.
- 22. The new factory is expected to come online _____ May.
- 23. If you go _____ a river you go towards its source.
- 24. Many of us eat _____ fork and spoon.
- 25. The mob stoned her _____ death.
The mob stoned her to death.
( 8.2) EXERCISE - PREPOSITIONS
Fill in the blanks with these words: about, across, after, along, among, behind, beside, off, since, through, under, without.
- 1. The referee ordered two players _____ the field.
- 2. I could see her _____ the window.
- 3. He sings whenever he is _____ the influence of alcohol.
- 4. We have not met _____ early last year.
- 5. She came up and sat _____ me.
- 6. Police want to know all _____ it and are calling for witnesses.
- 7. Innocent civilians were _____ the casualties.
- 8. Please shut the door _____ you.
- 9. How long can you survive _____ light or heating?
- 10. Who is looking _____ you when your parents are not in?
- 11. She was carrying her handbag _____ her arm.
- 12. We parked the car _____ the fence.
- 13. He had to push his way _____ the crowd to get in.
- 14. The robbers jumped _____ the train while it was still moving.
- 15. We enjoy driving _____ the highway.
- 16. Books were scattered _____ the room.
- 17. We are not allowed to talk _____ ourselves.
- 18. He has completed this degree course _____ too much trouble.
- 19. There is only one bridge _____ this river.
- 20. Do you believe in life _____ death?