Friday 8 April 2011

SIMPLE PAST TENSE

How do we make the Simple Past Tense?

Formula
(+) S + V2 + O
(-) S + Did + not + V1 + O
(?) Did + S + V1 + O?


the base form and past form do not change. Look at these examples with the main verbs go and work:
subject auxiliary verb main verb
+ I went to school.
You worked very hard.
- She did not go with me.
We did not work yesterday.
? Did you go to London?
Did they work at home?
Exception! The verb to be is different. We conjugate the verb to be (I was, you were, he/she/it was, we were, they were); and we do not use an auxiliary for negative and question sentences. To make a question, we exchange the subject and verb. Look at these examples:
subject main verb
+ I, he/she/it was here.
You, we, they were in London.
- I, he/she/it was not there.
You, we, they were not happy.
? Was I, he/she/it right?
Were you, we, they late?

No comments:

Post a Comment