Identify the Common Nouns in the following sentences.
- 1. We arrived early at the station.
- 2. There are different species of fish.
- 3. The man was trying to steal his car.
- 4. They have gone to the zoo.
- 5. The baby is crying.
- 6. My mother is in the kitchen.
- 7. He threw some nuts to the monkeys.
- 8. The children are playing in the field.
- 9. That temple was built before I was born.
- 10. He has bought a new car.
- 11. My father likes to swim.
- 12. She won a trophy in a competition.
- 13. I like to ride on a camel.
- 14. Do birds eat meat?
- 15. He went to visit his uncle.
- 16. My brother wants to play with us.
- 17. Let me have a look at your puppy.
- 18. The taxi broke down.
- 19. The boys are playing noisily.
- 20. She is hanging out the clothes to dry.
She is hanging out the clothes to dry.
( 1.2) EXERCISE - PROPER NOUNS
Use capital letters for Proper Nouns in the following sentences.
- 1. paris is the capital of france.
- 2. william shakespeare is a famous english author.
- 3. ‘war and peace' was written by leo tolstoy.
- 4. The universities of oxford and cambridge offer degree courses at the highest level.
- 5. john's two dogs are named rover and boxer.
- 6. david will travel to france to do a degree course on the french revolution.
- 7. suez canal joins the red sea and the mediterranean sea.
- 8. republic of liberia is on the west coast of africa.
- 9. mick jagger is the lead singer of rolling stones
- 10. mount kilimanjaro is the highest mountain in africa.
( 1.3) EXERCISE - ABSTRACT NOUNS
Form Abstract Nouns from the following.
man scholar king
know sell think
long strong wise
brother lose great
|man - manhood||scholar - scholarship||king - kingdom|
|know - knowledge||sell - sale||think - thought|
|long - length||strong - strength||wise - wisdom|
|brother - brotherhood||lose - loss||great - greatness|
( 1.4) EXERCISE - COLLECTIVE NOUNS
Fill in the blank s with suitable collective nouns.
- 1. A _____ of birds flew high in the sky.
- 2. They saw a _____ of lions at the zoo.
- 3. The farmer has a _____ of cattle on his farm.
- 4. He ate a _____ of grapes today.
- 5. Our friend shows us a _____ of stamps.
- 6. We saw a _____ of sheep on our way home.
- 7. Police have arrested a _____ of thieves.
- 8. She bought a _____ of bananas from the market.
- 9. The _____ of pupils are listening attentively to their teacher.
- 10. You can put the _____ of tools in that box.
( 1.5) EXERCISE - COUNTABLE & UNCOUNTABLE NOUNS
Complete each sentence by choosing the correct word.
- 1. There is so (many, much) smoke coming out of the chimney.
- 2. There are (plenty of, a large amount of) fish in the pond.
- 3. (A little, A few) minutes is all it takes for him to shave.
- 4. The postman put (a great deal of, a lot of) letters into the bag.
- 5. He threw (a little, some) nuts to the monkeys.
- 6. She uses only (a few, a little) cooking oil in her cooking.
- 7. My hens lay (a large amount of, several) eggs very day.
- 8. (A great deal of, A large number of) dust has collected on the desk.
- 9. We saw (a large amount of, many) cows grazing in the field.
- 10. The butcher sells (a large amount of, a large number of) meat.
( 1.6) EXERCISE - GENDER
Change the nouns in bold from the feminine to the masculine.
- 1. My aunt visits her niece every week-end.
- 2. The lady has several mares on her farm.
- 3. The daughter is more talkative than her mother.
- 4. Does any actress like to play the role of the princess?
- 5. Their queen is a widow.
- 6. The manageress is still a spinster.
- 7. In the movie, the tigress was killed by the heroine.
- 8. His daughter-in-law is a postmistress.
- 9. The countess has one sister.
- 10. The authoress is writing a book about the empress.
The author is writing a book about the emperor.
Change the nouns in bold from the masculine to the feminine.
- 11. The bridegroom thanked the priest.
- 12. His brother works as a waiter.
- 13. The dog barked at the milkman.
- 14. A cock was killed by a fox.
- 15. The manservant has worked many years for the duke.
- 16. Her husband is a conductor.
- 17. He was a postman before he became a postmaster.
She was a postwoman before she became a postmistress.
- 18. The lad wants to be a monk.
The lass wants to be a nun.
- 19. The sultan owns a stallion.
The sultana owns a mare.
- 20. Her father-in-law is a landlord.
( 1.7) EXERCISE - FORMING NOUNS FROM NOUNS
Fill in the blanks with abstract nouns from the nouns in brackets.
- 1. I had a very happy ______ (child).
- 2. I forgot to renew my _____ (member) in the sailing club.
- 3. We formed a deep and lasting _____ (friend).
- 4. He hopes to take over the _____ (leader) of the party.
- 5. There are lots of nice people in the _____ (neighbour).
- 6. In the _____ (king) of Thailand, the king commands the respect of every citizen.
- 7. She seems to be enjoying _____ (mother).
- 8. He had barely reached _____ (man) when he married.